Opportunity to Lead Missouri Bankers Association as President & CEO
The Missouri Bankers Association (MBA) is a trade association of Missouri financial institutions providing a wealth of information to keep members abreast of top priorities, including information on key issues and updates on recent legislative and regulatory matters. The mission of the MBA is to advance a positive environment for Missouri banking, and the industry overall, and foster safe, profitable and successful banks that promote strong communities and a vibrant Missouri economy.
Founded in 1891, the MBA includes 247 charters and more than 1800 branches, $215 billion of assets and $204 billion of deposits. The MBA is governed by a Board of Directors representing 86% of banking institutions covering a wide range of bank asset and deposit sizes from across the state.
The MBA is anchored in the state’s capital Jefferson City, Missouri, positioning the association perfectly to work with state elected officials and regulators as an advocate on behalf of its members in support of the banking industry. Historic Jefferson City is located by the majestic Missouri River with tree-lined bluffs and architectural treasures such as the Capitol and Supreme Court buildings, many museums, beautiful parks and a charming downtown community.
The Missouri Bankers Association (MBA) is currently seeking an experienced, strategic and innovative leader, with strong political and business acumen, who will serve as the association’s President & CEO and be the primary advocate of the Missouri banking industry. This individual will lead and direct the organization to maximize its effectiveness in providing value to its members and other stakeholders. Responsibilities include leadership, advocacy, governance, community and public relations, and effectively directing and building the MBA team.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Defines, articulates, and drives strategic directions for the organization, its staff, and its members and customers.
- Leads all MBA activities and key events successfully.
- Able to seamlessly transition leadership from retiring President & CEO to ensure continued service to members, focus on priorities, and sound fiscal management.
- Collaborates with elected officials and prudential regulators at the national, state and local levels to support the banking industry.
- Leverages relationships with the American Bankers Association and other state and national banking associations to solidify support around key issues.
- Displays effective representation of the MBA before all key government bodies, the media, and the public on priority issues.
- Implements strategy to advance political and policy objectives of the MBA effectively.
- Collaborates with the chair and other officers, and leads, enables and supports the Board of Directors in its governance responsibilities.
- Oversees all aspects of MBA and subsidiary programs, products, and services; including structure, process, delivery and quality.
- Recommends yearly budget for Budget and Audit Committee, Executive Committee and Board approval and prudently manages organization's resources to achieve priorities.
- Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented to convey a strong, positive industry image to relevant stakeholders.
- Develops sound relationships with key constituencies including the board, leaders from banks of all sizes, and other industry association executives.
- Recruits, builds and directs effective teams professionals and volunteers to advance the mission of the MBA.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Position Skills and Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in business or related field is required. Advanced degree in finance, management law or related field is strongly preferred. A minimum of five years as CEO or very senior leadership position in a major trade association or similar organization, including leadership with volunteers, is preferred. Knowledge and experience of the banking industry preferred.
The ideal candidate will have strong organization and leadership skills, strong business ethics, and decisive, exceptional verbal and written communication skills. The ideal candidate will also have extensive experience and demonstrated success with political and governmental affairs, public relations, financial management and personnel management with proven ability to work effectively with state and federal legislators and regulators.
This position includes a 25% travel requirement to attend events, meetings, conferences and perform advocacy for the organization. The MBA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package with a relocation package available.
Interested candidates may email a cover letter describing your interest in the position, including salary requirements, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Questions regarding the position may also be directed to email@example.com
The MBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.